Wednesday, September 30, 2015

My 28th year

As I turn the page stepping into my 28th year, I can't help but feel excited. It is apparent that I believe in silver linings, often thriving on new beginnings. Those that know me well have heard "every day is a fresh start, a new beginning" come from my mouth more than they can count. So often that my go to quote when either myself or a friend is struggling becomes annoying. At one point my husband has raised his voice at me saying "sometimes I wish you weren't always so Damn positive!!". I have days of darkness just like the next person and when I fall I fall hard. But what would life be if we lived in the past? How could we appreciate the good without bad? Every dark cloud has a silver lining. I truly believe this to be true. We can't change our past. It doesn't define who we are, but shapes our personalities and pathes the way to our future.

During our staff meeting the other day my boss told us that we should give ourselves 5 minutes to wallow, be upset or crumble. After all we are human and there are times that we need the emotional release. After those 5 minutes, however, it is important to turn the page and move on. This struck me as the most incredible bit of advice I've ever received. Life is hard, and we were born to fight. We will do so until the day we die. That is what makes life so rewarding and precious. Some of have been chosen to fight harder than others. We were all given life and the events we face both good and bad are our stories. I'm drawing near to the end of another chapter in mine. I'm ready to say goodbye to 27 and press on.

Reflecting on this past year I would have never imagined it to turn out as it did. At the age of 27 I was faced with my 3rd and 4th lumpectomy, a hystorectomy, and a diagnosis that lead to my double mastectomy. I lost my job, friendships ended and I walked through the storm at times wondering how I would make it to the end. But I kept walking, sometimes even crawling, and believed in the days ahead. Life for me didn't go as planned and I'm ok with that. Things beyond my control turned my world around and made my year one I will never forget. It may have been one of my worst years in a sense, but it was also one of my very best!! I told cancer no! I sent a hypothetical nuclear bomb destroying it before it had the chance to find me. I lost my breasts, but gained my health. On Friday I will recive another big expansion putting me another fill closer to the end of the expansion and reconstruction process. I lost my job and gained a new career in which I am surrounded by some of the most supportive and incredible women I've ever met. Friendships died, while new ones bloomed. I couldn't be more thankful for the way I grew in more ways than I could explain and my life changed over the year.

Life is a roller coaster. If we were constantly ridding at the top would we feel the thrill of the climb or the anxiety of the fall? Would we be able to feel complete thankfulness if things were perfect 100% of the time? What is your idea of perfect anyhow? Does it even exsist? Live the life you were given. Give yourself time to crumble when needed then pick yourself back up and enjoy the climb back up. Find your silver linings in even the darkest of clouds and cherish the little things.

I am ecstatic to say goodbye to 27, and welcome my 28th year with open arms. This year is going to be my best one yet. I will have my exchange surgery drawing near the end of my mastectomy journey. I will be celebrating my 10 year wedding anniverary with the most incredible man. Our beautiful miracle will be turning 7. Our beautiful daughter that after years of infertility treatments we didn't know we would ever have! It is true that some of our worst years lead to those that turn out to be our very best. I can't wait to see what is in store for me, or where life takes me. I can't wait to begin my 28th year.

No comments:

Post a Comment