Monday, June 1, 2015

A trip down memory lane

Ever have silly little moments in your life that brighten your day during that given time but quickly fade away and you forget all about them? Then for one reason or another years down the road the memory pops back into your head. Often triggered by a life event, and it makes your heart happy that you had it locked away in some compartment in your brain waiting for a deeper meaning. Thus furthering the idea that everything, big or small, happens for a reason.

With "D day" (the name I've given for the removal of my tiny 32 D's) quickly approching I've been doing a lot of reflecting. Looking back on all the memories surrounding "the girls", and laughing at just how many there actually are. Most completely random, some embarassing, some I so badly wish I could share (but my parents read this blog haha) and others, like breast feeding our daughter, are deeply cherished.

One particular memory that I had completely forgotten all about hit me the other day and brought tears to my eyes. It is the story of my boobs, and the "life changing" event of my very first Victoria secrets bra. Seems completely silly right?! A wonderful friend of mine, Mrs Ivy Moullet, convinced me that my newly aquired mom boobs needed some extra support, such a support that the bras I had been wearing just weren't giving me. Zach and I with our 2 year old in tow, met her for lunch on Valentines day so she didn't have to spend it alone while her other half was working. After meeting at Olive Garden, I made a comment on her always perfectly perfect perky set. Though she had never had a baby, she told me all about the miracles of a Victoria's secret bra!! Zach not having gotten me anything as a gift yet, was convinced by Ivy that a bra from there would be the perfect thing. So the 4 of us hopped in our car and drove across town to VS where I was fitted and made the purchase. Needless to say it has been 4 years now and I haven't owned anything since. In 2011 after a shopping spree at Victoria's Secrets, I gave her hell for starting such an addiction. Her response is something I will always love and cherish in a completely new and different way.

"Once upon a time there was a woman named Kristy. She lived in a village far far away and considered her bust to be less-than-perfect. She was sure that there was no device in this world that could make them look how they did prior to birthing her beloved daughter. Then, her long lost friend, Ivy told her about the Victoria's Secret bras, which supposedly could make everything look bigger, better, perkier, and out-of-this-world-good. Kristy did not want to believe it. "It must be a lie, a Satan's device!" she said. Then, Valentine's Day of 2011, Ivy dragged Kristy, kicking and screaming, into a Victoria's Secret store. After trying on a couple of brassieres, Kristy couldn't believe her eyes. "It's MAGIC!" she exclaimed. "But why oh why would I pay $50 for one when I could get 5 for that price at Walmart!" Ivy decided to step in and force Kristy's lover into buying the magical device for his precious wife. From that point on, a fairytale love affair started between Kristy and Victoria's Secret bras that would withstand any trials or tribulations. She just couldn't get enough!! Looking through the catalog, she wanted all of them! And one by one, her collection grew. Walmart bras were a thing of the past, slayed like a dragon. And Kristy and her Victoria's Secret bras lived happily ever after, all thanks to the little good witch Ivy, who had approached her with her guidance concerning perkiness of breasts. The End."

I had forgotten ALL about this random response and the other day, as I put on my favorite bra thinking about having to part with it here in a couple weeks, it popped into my head. I said something to her about it which triggered a hunt through our facebook interactions over the years to find it. The story will now spend it's days sitting in a frame on my dresser. <3

Any women would agree that there is just nothing like a good bra. And let's be honest, We all have our favorite. I am a bit sad to part with my simple grey, lacey razor back favorite. I also look forward to the day of being able to be at the end of this journey, and go get fitted again and find my next favorite. It will be just as much of a surprise as it was on that day all those years ago. Most people don't realize that with a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery, you don't get to pick your ending cup size, your breasts aren't even measured in cup sizes but rather cc's. After my breasts are removed, I will go through a long journey of tissue expansion, slowly stretching my chest wall and skin to make room for the implants I will receive months down the road. My ending size will depend on what my body can tolerate, how well my chest stretches, and what will leave my "foobs"(fake boobs) with the least amount of dimpling, wrinkling, etc. I don't know what I will look like at the end of this journey, which is both nerve wrecking and exciting. I do know, it will be a day full of emotion and triumph, because I will have made it. I am going to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment